Everyone in security knows the 3 factors of authentication: something you know (like a password), something you have (like a smartphone or card reader) and something you are (like a fingerprint). But today, very few banks use all 3 factors for online security. And many, still rely on card readers as the something you have token. Card readers typically require you to insert your bank card, enter your PIN, and then report the 6 digit code displayed on the reader.
As the second authentication token, the card reader is critical to online security. So it was with some considerable concern that the following warning is now being issued after being logged into the Royal Bank of Scotland’s online banking:
Have you been asked to use your card reader and provide codes generated by it to someone over the phone? STOP!
– We will NEVER ask you for a card reader code to stop or verify transactions over the phone, if you are being asked to share this code over the phone, it’s fraud.
– You should NEVER log onto Digital Banking whilst sharing your screen with someone else. If you are being asked by companies you trust, such as your internet provider, to log in to your Digital Banking while sharing your screen, it’s fraud.
RBS is warning that it is possible to compromise the “something you have” token by spoofing the customer with fake news about his or her account. The vulnerable customer discloses the secret code from the card reader thereby enabling a potential theft from their account.
While knowledge can be stolen and physical tokens compromised by criminal manipulation, it is much harder to obtain biometric data (something you are). A determined thief, with access to things you touch, might be able to extract a fingerprint. But it’s hard work. And it is dangerous since the thief will need to enter your home or office to get at the print. Voice biometrics and facial recognition are much harder to steal. A good voice authenticator or a face recognizer will look for signs of liveness, and your identity, that makes it just too hard to break in.
It’s time the banks get serious about protecting us customers and adopt an effective way to recognize something you are. To learn more, download our product information sheet and/or contact us today.
Earlier this summer, LumenVox was a proud sponsor at the Opus Intelligent Authentication Conference in Munich. While the event featured a plethora of information to aid organizations in better understanding how authentication, identification, and fraud prevention technologies in enterprise voice and digital channels can stop fraudsters, build customer loyalty, and enable simple, trusted digital commerce, the top five voice biometric authentication trends were clear to us:
- It’s all about fraud – In a world where data is a valuable commodity, criminals are acting in increasingly sophisticated and organized way to be able to steal and abuse that data. The advent of chip cards, for example, has made credit card fraud much harder, and criminals are going after what they see as ‘soft targets’ – such as call centers. According to Forrester, on behalf of Neustar Mitigate Fraud And Consumer Friction with Integrated IDV 2019 study, 61% of surveyed firms had seen an increase in identity theft fraud in the preceding 12 months. According to a 2019 study, 50% of fraudulent account takeover attempts in the financial services sector come through the call center and 23% in the non-financial services sector. LumenVox, recognizing that the threat landscape is evolving, offers a Fraud Detection solution that utilizes advanced voice biometric algorithms coupled with state-of-the-art neural networks to alert fraud teams to suspicious calls in real-time.
- It’s all about the customer – Customers are becoming increasingly frustrated with lengthy or inconvenient authentication processes. According to a 2019 study, 46% of respondents were frustrated with authentication processes, versus 31% the previous year. LumenVox’s Multi-Factor Authentication offering is designed to counter that frustration through seamlessly and securely authenticating customers in a manner which ensures the customer experience is excellent.
- Voice biometrics is moving into the B2C market – Lloyds Banking rolled out Voice Identification to its Halifax, Lloyds Bank and Bank of Scotland customers in October 2018, offering customers the chance to enroll for voice authentication. It’s now the most commonly used mode of authentication among the bank’s customer base. Deutsche Telekom introduced its “SprachID” in August 2018 and has also experienced high degrees of adoption. Active Voice Biometrics solutions, like LumenVox’, offer a convenient and secure way to enable this functionality for businesses and consumers.
- Active voice biometrics for self-service applications for end-consumers is still very compelling – For self-service channels, active voice biometrics offer a convenient, and secure means to authenticate customers who need to perform tasks such as password resets, updating of personal details, secure app interactions and pre-authentication in an IVR queue and, as such, remains a compelling offering. The LumenVox Password Reset solution allows users to actively authenticate by repeating a random set of words or a passphrase. Once they’re authenticated they can reset their passwords immediately. Users can also use the same voiceprint to authenticate across multiple channels – like mobile and web – for a convenient omnichannel experience.
- Cloud-based hybrid voice biometric systems are becoming a trend – Especially for non-financial sector call centers. Globally, more and more organizations are looking for solutions that are flexible and operate on a pay-as-you-use basis. A voice biometric solution is no different. A consolidated voice bank that can streamline customer engagement and leverage the customer’s voice across multiple brands and commercial entities, like LumenVox’s Call Center solution, offers organizations a compelling solution.
Ready to learn more about the top five voice biometric authentication trends and how the LumenVox suite of solutions can aid your organization in obtaining maximum fraud prevention while offering customers exceptional experiences? Contact us today!
Whether we like it or not, and even with the recent announcement from Microsoft, it will be a long time before passwords are eradicated. However, with the release of LumenVox Authentication Suite 7.1, and the availability of the Windows Pre-Login Password Reset Application, the issue of forgotten passwords and account lockouts will no longer drain resources and productivity for organizations with employees running Windows 7, 8.x and 10.
Aimed at driving down helpdesk costs and empowering employees to quickly self-service, the automated LumenVox Windows Pre-Login Password Reset Application is based on the Windows Credential provider framework and plugs seamlessly into the existing login screen, displaying as an additional user title. With the user interface (UI) language determined by the user’s current windows system settings, from the locked screen, the user can easily follow the prompts to begin the reset or unlock process via three different authentication methods using previously enrolled models:
- Voice Callback to a Registered Phone Number: Selecting the voice option triggers an out of band voice biometric authentication process in which a phone call from the LumenVox engine to the user’s registered phone number is placed. The call and onscreen workflow are synced so the user hears and sees on screen prompts from their locked screen.
- Knowledge Based Authentication (KBA) Within the Login Screen: Selecting the KBA option triggers a pop-up window on the locked screen displaying a question and answer form. Multiple questions must be answered correctly to authenticate.
- One Time Password Sent to a Registered Mobile Phone via Text Message (SMS): Not requiring explicit enrollment, upon selection of the out of band SMS option, a 6-digit one-time password is sent to the user’s registered mobile phone as a text message. The one-time password must then be entered in the pop-up window on the locked screen.
Once the user has successfully authenticated, a temporary password is generated automatically, allowing them to reset or unlock their account in a matter of minutes, 24/7.
Worried that remote employees won’t have access to the solution? The LumenVox Windows Pre-Login Password Reset Application functions outside of a company’s network by using VPN capabilities from the Windows login screen.
To learn more, download our product information sheet and/or contact us today.
LumenVox is excited to announce the release of LumenVox Authentication Suite 7.1. With this latest version, LumenVox is further broadening our suite of solutions to provide organizations with additional multifactor authentication deployment and fraud prevention options.
“The updates and expansion of products demonstrate LumenVox’ commitment to providing speech, authentication, and fraud prevention solutions on a global scale that are both flexible and cost-effective, for the improvement of Call Center CX and ROI,” stated LumenVox CEO, Edward Miller.
LumenVox Authentication Suite 7.1 features include:
- Availability of the LumenVox Fraud Scanner. Designed to enable fraud teams to more actively track and report ongoing fraudulent activity, the LumenVox Fraud Scanner utilizes advanced voice biometric algorithms coupled with state-of-the-art neural networks to alert teams with a prioritized list of suspicious calls.
- A mobile application (iOS and Android) deployment option for the LumenVox Password Reset Solution. With the simple scan of a QR code, a user can configure the generic reset application with their organization’s desired configurations and branding, enabling multifactor authentication for account unlocking or password resetting, directly from the user’s mobile device, 24/7.
- LumenVox Pre-Login Password Reset application for Windows. Based on the Windows Credential provider framework, the LumenVox Pre-Login Password Reset application plugs seamlessly into the user’s existing login screen, allowing users to select their preferred method of authentication (voice biometric, SMS, KBA) to unlock or reset their password, even if they are not currently logged in.
- Updates made to language packs for multifactor authentication utilizing active voice biometric authentication and knowledge-based authentication (KBA). Active voice biometric languages updated: English, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Czech, and Polish. KBA languages updated: Arabic, German, British English, American English, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese.
For more detailed information about each of the highlighted features from LumenVox Authentication Suite 7.1, stay tuned, and be sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
MODIS ITO and LumenVox announced their partnership to offer customer tailored speech and biometric authentication services to companies. With the IT outsourcing and hosting capabilities, MODIS is the ideal partner for automated, multimodal tools to improve service efficiency, usability and security for IT services in all branches.
Hosting a biometric platform with LumenVox, MODIS can provide authentication solutions designed for businesses that have decided to outsource their IT, and concentrate on their own strengths. “LumenVox is pleased to have MODIS ITO as a partner for serving enterprises with authentication services. Our partnership serves the specific needs of the clients in a certified environment within Europe, while meeting the strict GDPR regulations and requirements nowadays,” stated Bettina Stearn, Managing Director, Europe LumenVox.
Martin Wimmer, Managing Director MODIS ITO, said, “With this partnership, we take another bold step forward towards enhancing user experience. The LumenVox solution is an excellent addition to our contact channels for more self-service based on cutting edge technology. By creating automated user-friendly processes, efficiency and customer satisfaction can be continuously improved.”
On June 5-6, both companies will be present at the annual Service Desk and Service Management World in Cologne, Germany and showcase the solutions.
To learn more, visit our websites https://ito.modis.de or www.LumenVox.com.
If you’d like to learn more about our Password Reset solution, view our recent webinar
About MODIS IT Outsourcing GmbH:
MODIS ITO supports clients with consulting, design, implementation and operation of IT services. Based on their experience of more than 100 realized projects, profound IT service management knowledge and state-of-the-art technologies MODIS ITO provides clients of any industry all around the globe with high-class IT support. They can act as co-partner by integrating their services into existing client structures as well as full-service provider with end-to-end responsibility for certain processes or the complete IT support service.
**** Um diese Ankündigung auf Deutsch zu sehen, besuchen Sie bitte: https://www.openpr.de/news/1049992/Kundenspezifische-Sprach-und-biometrische-Authentifizierung.html
You are not alone in your helpdesk woes! This year’s HDI Conference and Expo featured a great presentation that highlighted Support Organizations’ Top Goals and Challenges. Yes, each organization may have their own set of unique specifics, but there are many general commonalities.
We’ll admit, as a first-time attendee and exhibitor at the conference, we were a bit nervous but, as soon as we saw the list of challenges and goals presented, we knew we were in the right place! Many of the top items are precisely the reason our customers turn to LumenVox for their speech-enabled application and/or authentication needs. Here’s a quick rundown, along with a note on how LumenVox can meet your organization’s goals:
Top 10 Challenges and Goals of Service and Support Professionals – As listed by HDI Conference and Expo
- Managing an increased workload with existing staff (“doing more with less”) – Our solutions are all about automation! Not for the sake of eliminating the human element but in order to enable staff to focus on other tasks, such as providing quality service to end users who may be unable to self-service. From industry-leading speech recognition, world-class multifactor authentication, and a comprehensive password reset solution, LumenVox offers a flexible and cost-effective suite.
- Implementing new technologies – We guide you through the planning and deployment process, making implementation a breeze, and are well known for our outstanding customer service.
- Hiring, training, and recruiting the staff needed to succeed – We won’t be able to act as your recruiter but, we most certainly can make sure your current staff is up to speed on our technology. We offer robust documentation and a team of knowledgeable experts.
- Increasing analyst/technician productivity and efficiency – The time gained when support staff is no longer required to deal with mundane tasks, such as resetting passwords, is exponential. One LumenVox customer increased productivity by over 100,000 hours per year when password resets were shortened from 4.5 hours to 15 minutes!
- Successfully implementing knowledge management – While we do not provide a knowledge management solution, we are more than willing to provide support responses for our technologies so your organization may quickly and efficiently address any questions about the implemented LumenVox solution(s).
- Increasing/improving employee engagement and morale – When employees see solutions in place, such as those from LumenVox, that take some of the burden off them, morale and engagement increase. It goes back to the first point of “doing more with less,” employees shouldn’t have to do more.
- Consistently measuring and improving customer satisfaction – We take your organization’s internal and external customer satisfaction very seriously but, you don’t just have to take our word for it. We have an NPS score of 88, more than 18 years in business, and over 3,000 organizations that utilize our suite of speech and authentication solutions for their internal and external customers.
- Integrating existing IT systems – We are fully capable of integrating with your existing system and may even be a current partner of some of your system providers.
- Securing the necessary budget/funding support – Here’s one of the great things about LumenVox, you won’t need to break the bank when you are implementing our cost-effective solutions with proven ROI. For example, our Password Reset solution (highlighted during the HDI Conference and Expo) eliminates 85% or more of the password related load to the help desk. Typically, 30% of calls into helpdesks are for routine password resets, at an average cost upwards of $35 a call to resolve, making the cost savings significant! The same company that gained over 100,000 hours of productivity also reduced their helpdesk costs by 16%.
- Developing a user-friendly, and support-friendly, service catalog – While we will happily fit within your service catalog and can provide placement recommendations, developing service catalogs in not within our scope. We’ll stick with what we know best (speech + authentication) and leave service catalog development to someone else.
If any of these top 10 challenges and goals resonated with you and you’d like to learn more about the LumenVox helpdesk solution suite, contact us today!
We can’t wait until next year’s conference, re-branded as Support World Live, April 19-24, in Las Vegas!